Confined spaces have been likened to a serial killer. Year after year, people die when entering confined spaces to carry out work. In some cases, multiple fatalities occur when would-be rescuers enter the space and become victims themselves.
Consider these cases in New Zealand:
- A man was killed when he was engulfed in a silo containing sand.
- Two men were hospitalized after inhaling hydrogen sulphide. One man was cleaning inside a tank that previously stored a substance for cultivating mushrooms. When he lost consciousness, the second man climbed in to rescue him before also losing consciousness.
- Three men died from lack of oxygen inside a sewer.
- A man drowned in slurry after being suffocated by fermentation fumes in a tank used to mash pig feed.
- A winemaker inspecting a vat was suffocated by fumes from fermenting wine.
- A man steam cleaning the inside of a fuel tank died from lack of oxygen.
Please click on link below to get more information
https://worksafe.govt.nz/topic-and-industry/planning-entry-and-working-safely-in-a-confined-space/« Healthy Homes | Foil insulation is banned »